Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Rock Star

For those of you that are regular followers of my blog, rest assured that the semester will eventually end and that I will reclaim my blog from the dreadful clutches of CS 404.  Until then....

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"  

It's a common question that people of all ages hear.  I remember in elementary school responding with things like astronaut, game designer, comic book artist, and sports mascot.  All of those responses reflected something different about my perception (at the time) of what success was.

Well here I sit, twenty years later, and I've finally come to some sort of answer to that ever present question.  I want to be a rock star.  I don't want to be a singer, songwriter, or guitarist.  I want to be Joseph Slinker, and I want to be so awesome that people pay money just to be in the same arena as me. Sure I might be good at playing guitar, or wearing outlandish clothing, but I don't want to BE a guitarist.  I don't want to BE fashionable.  I want the sum total of my life's experiences to make me awesome beyond belief.

It's at this point that as a TA reading this you're probably wondering how this is a book report or what this has to do with the Steve Jobs biography.  If that is the case then, simply put, Steve Jobs was a rock star.  Sure his life's work resulted in a lot of fun toys, but more importantly his life time of searching and becoming made everything he touched vicariously awesome.

That's what I want.  To be awesome.

1 comment:

kwistin said...

cs 404 or not, i fully support this message.