Monday, November 21, 2011

The Week of Thanksgiving

I stared death in the face, and death blinked.

No but in all seriousness, my two roommates and I came within 2 feet of dying tonight.  We were driving on Canyon Rd/University Avenue right before the Shops at the Riverwoods in Provo/Orem.


We were driving towards the canyon when a pair of legs appeared in the headlights.  I say a pair of legs because the deer/elk was so big that the body wasn't in the headlights until we were right on it.

By the time we had realized what was happening we did have much more than 35 ft away from it.  Now I realize 35 ft sounds like a fair distance, but traveling at 50 mph you don't have much time to react.  I hit my brakes and cut from the left lane to the right.  As we changed lanes the tail of the car lost traction with the road and we began spinning into oncoming traffic.

My gut reaction was to let off the brake and loosen up on the wheel to allow the car to finish whatever it was going to do.  The tail whipped completely around and the car grabbed hold of the pavement with a car coming head on, 20 ft ahead of us.  Seeing that we were positioned slightly off center with the oncoming car I cut to the left to allow it to pass.  It swerved with 2 ft to spare (no seriously, I wouldn't even be comfortable parallel parking to car as close as he came to us) and I cut back into my lane.


Pulling immediately to the side of the road we waited for the smell of burning rubber to dissipate and for the tires to stop smoking.  Canceling all our plans Patrick, Troy, and I turned around and headed home for the evening.

I'm grateful we're all alive.  I'll be honest, though I laugh and joke in serious, even life threatening, situations I take them very seriously.  Laughter is my coping mechanism that occasionally makes it appear as though I have little care about the situation.  Well, I care.

Appreciate what you have while you have it.  Appreciate who you have while you have them.  Do what you feel you should do today, because you really might not have a tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving.