Wednesday, January 5, 2011

BYU FTL

For consistent readers of this fine publication I'd like to issue a formal apology for the recent rise in the amount of education related complaining.

Here I sit in the first day of American Heritage.  I feel a particular amount of disdain towards the course, not because of the teacher, nor the subject material, but because of the teacher.  Yes I realize the non-sensical nature of the statement that was just made.  The teacher appears qualified and competent, but he's wasting my time.

Perhaps my feeling this way is a result of being spoiled by Dr. Burton in CS 142.  The man told me what was expected, told me how to do the assignments, and answered every question I could confront him with.  His class was perfect.

That being said, I'm going to stop wasting your time and cut to the point.  I want the first day of class to:
1.  Tell me what I need to get all the points in the class.
2.  Answer my questions.
3.  Let me go home.

What I want from a normal lecture:
1.  Tell me what I need to know to finish the coming homework.
2.  Tell me ALL the information that will be on the test (not some introduction that assumes I figured out the answer from the bottom line of the last page of the reading).
3.  Let me go home.

3 comments:

Wes said...

I totally hear you about being spoiled by Dr. Burton. His class WAS virtually perfect. That man was a fantastic teacher.

Joel Deehr said...

I never had Dr Burton as a teacher, but he ran the 235 exams and labs when I took it, and it was AWESOME! Some of the labs were so easy! Good luck in your classes Joe.

Mary said...

Ok, I just read your last two posts and while I can't even pretend to have any clue what an IDE is, I thought your argument was very persuasive and pointed. And I wanted to die a little inside for you and your major. Hugs.